I have had a few friends and family members mention this and then just was a little miffed at one of those High Fructose Corn Syrup commercials (“It’s derived from corn and is safe in moderation.”).  What I have been told is that everything is fine in moderation. Well, yes.  But “in moderation” is the key part of that sentence.

When you are talking about food toxins like high fructose corn syrup, hydrogenated oils, pesticides, and hormones… or in personal care products toxins like SLS, SLES, phthalates, or parabens… it is nearly impossible to keep to the “in moderation” guideline.

I was listening to a podcast a few years ago (I know who it was: Leanne the Dinner Diva, and I know which podcast: The Flylady Show, but I do not know exactly when or exactly which episode it was, or even exactly the right quote, so I apologize) and Leanne mentioned that “trace amounts” of some ingredients do not need to be figured into the nutritional information on the package.  But they do need to be listed in the ingredients.   She suggested reading the ingredients and replacing the bad ingredients with the words “dog poop”.  Now, she was specifically talking about trans fats (usually listed as hydrogenated oils), but you could use this on any ingredient or toxin.

You know that if a product had labeled in its ingredients “dog poop”, there would be no way you would eat it, or slather it on your body.  Even if “they” said that it was “safe in moderation” or “safe in trace amounts.”

But you can take this a step further.

Take the ever popular Heinz Ketchup (marketed as “grown not made”).  Ingredients include: Tomato concentrate made from red ripe tomatoes, distilled vinegar, high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, salt, spice, onion powder, garlic powder, natural flavoring. And since we are not looking at an organic variety, throw in pesticides also.  So…. let’s rework that list with our substitute ingredient:

Tomato concentrate made from red ripe tomatoes, distilled vinegar, dog poop, dog poop, salt, spice, onion powder, garlic powder, natural flavoring, dog poop.

So, what might have looked like a bad ingredient in moderation is now suddenly 3/10 of the serving. And this is just the ketchup.  If you look at the rest of the meal, you will find something similar.

What about the baby wash you put on your little one?

According to the Cosmetics Database, Johnson & Johnson Head-to-Toe Baby Wash ingredients:

Water, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, PEG-150 Distearate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Sodium Chloride, Polyquaternium-10, Fragrance, Quaternium-15, Citric Acid

And follow that up with Johnson’s Baby Lotion:

Water, Propylene Glycol, Myristyl Myristate, Glyceryl Stearate, Oleic Acid, Stearic Acid, Polysorbate 61, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Dimethicone, Isopropyl Palmitate, Sorbitan Stearate, Cetyl Alcohol, Synthetic Beeswax, Stearyl Alcohol, Benzyl Alcohol, Carbomer, Fragrance, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, BHT, Sodium Hydroxide, Red 33

So, more dog poop there. Now, I am not attempting to badger anyone. I just want to make you aware that the phrase “in moderation” when it comes to certain substances is practically impossible, unless you are VERY vigilant with each and every item you consume and put on your skin.  If you keep them out of your body 90% of the time, the other 10% you absorb from the environment or from meals you consume at restaurants or friends/families’ houses become your “in moderation”.  If you do not pay attention, you “in moderation” suddenly becomes 50% or more, plus environmental factors, of what your body is trying to process.

Here’s hoping they take those HFCS commercials off the air.

—————————————————————————————

This blog post is part of Green Follow Friday.  Be sure to follow the above link and check out some of the other blogs participating. Get some great ideas!

Don’t miss a single post! Be sure to sign up to receive updates either by email or through a reader. Choose one of the options at right!
Advertisements